These paper boats of mine are meant to dance on the ripples of hours, and not reach any destination... Rabindranath Tagore

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past...F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

We were the people who were not in the papers. We lived in the blank white spaces at the edges of print. It gave us more freedom. We lived in the gaps between the stories.
+
On the way to the river are the old dormitories, used for something else now, with their fairy-tale turrets, painted white and gold and blue. When we think of the past it's the beautiful things we pick out. We want to believe it was all like that.
--from Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale

Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul.
- Joyce Carol Oates

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Surrender...


Surrender (2005) - Sonya Hartnett


I am dying; its a beautiful word...
I feel old...
But I am young - I'm the martyr's age...
I am only twenty...
Living and dying in a little town called Mulyan...
a town of abominable secrets and myth..
I am Anwell...
But to Finnigan, my 'friend'.
I am Gabriel, the messenger, the teller of astonishing truths...

Death has been an acquaintance of mine...
Like a chameleon
In many shades...

My parents
Stifled the drive of my spirits...
For awhile at least
(Insert wry, satisfied smile here)

Vern was my first death...
his birdy shadow
My first secret...
I was only seven...

Finnigan
changed the colours of my life...
His was a world of light and speed, of flame and trickery...

We shared
Surrender
A dog for all whims
And all seasons

And then there was Evangeline...
like a sprite...
toying with me...
just beyond...
Though I tried to hope it would not always be that way...

Yet ultimately
It was Vern
Older yet never older Vern...
Who finally reached out

To take my hand...



GOODREADS REVIEW
SurrenderSurrender by Sonya Hartnett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Time bursts like fireworks, twisted with colourful word spins... Anwell, the storyteller most times, morphs into Gabriel, an angel of sorts. He has a co-writer, 'offsider' Finnigan, who declares 'I've touched them all: I'm like the plague.' And then there is Surrender, the dog, who chooses to swing with his moods and his loyalties. Mix in disabled Vernon, (a cameo appearance that lingers ghost-like), plus discordant parents and here is a novel that could be an enigmatic painting in progress. Death is the major player, seeming to work with and against anyone, always creating an endless cycle of dramas. Overall, a mesmerising read that leaves the delicious feeling of 'what just happened'...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...